Tuesday, July 2, 2013

* Little Free Libraries? What a awesome idea!

I came across the article in a listserv post from wispublib today in my inbox.  It resulted a lively discussion regarding if these lovely little book-nooks were going to one day replace libraries.  My opinion?  Of course not - libraries offer way more than just borrowing books!  They offer valuable services, research facilities, programs, and have become a valuable place to carry out these activities.  That being said...it did remind me about an article I read a couple of weeks ago regarding Little Free Libraries.

You can check out the website here.


This is such an amazing idea!!  It's basically an expansion on the "take-a-book leave-a-book" concept.  I've seen them a at a few coffee shows and restaurants over the years and I always enjoy looking at all the books people have left and picking up some new titles to read.  The movement started in Hudson, Wisconsin by Todd Bol a couple of years ago and since then, these libraries have begun to appear all over the country and even all over the world.  You can build your own library or order one from the website!

There is even a map on the website that shows all of the registered Little Free Libraries.  You can zoom  in to find a location near you or zoom out to see libraries in other places around the world.  I even found some in my hometown of Waukesha, WI.


No comments:

Post a Comment