Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (audio)

"Just because something seems impossible doesn't make it untrue."

For me, this book was basically an adult version of Twilight.  Basically, Diana is a witch/historical scholar at Yale.  After her parents die at a young age, she goes to live with her aunt and her aunt's partner (both witches) and decides she wants nothing to do with her magical background.  This all changes when she discovers a lost manuscript while completing her research at Oxford and the world of magical creatures, as well as her own, is turned up side down.  Oh and she falls in love with a vampire (of course) named Matthew who loves yoga and is an excellent cook (really??)

I was expecting to enjoy this book more than I did. I loved the historical part of the book and how they were incorporated into the story.  Diana's family are descendants from Bridget Bishop of the Salem Witch trials and this linage becomes an important aspect in the story in a really interesting way.  I also really liked the world that was created where humans, witches, vampires, and demons could co-exist with little problems (at least so far).  Plus it's set in a library!!! These are the only reasons I was able to give this book three stars.

What I didn't like was the romance.  It was way to "chick-lit" and didn't seem to fit with Diana's character or the storyline.  I felt like the author created this really interesting fantasy world and story and then decided to stick in gobs on annoying romantic scenes between the main characters to make the books more appealing to the readers.  Frankly, it was just annoying.  I'm all for romance, if it fits the story and is believable - neither of which I found in this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment