Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

"I wonder if our names determine our destiny, or if destiny leads us to choose certain names."

Set in Ancient Eqypt, this novel tells the story of Nefertiti and her marriage to the Pharaoh Akhenaten from the perspective of her younger sister, Mutnodjmet.  Unlike her over ambitious sister, Mutnodjmet has no desire for the royal life that she has been born into and wants nothing more then to be a wife and mother - much like Mary Boleyn in Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl.  As Nefertiti's power begins to rise, Mutnodjmet struggles between loyalty to her family and the quiet life she wants.

I have always been fascinated by ancient Egypt and have been excited to read this book for awhile.  I wish I could say I enjoyed it as much as I thought I would, but I didn't.  A couple of years ago, I might have given the book four stars - or maybe even five - but I've read a lot of books since then and have come to expect a lot more.  I enjoyed reading it, but there wasn't that WOW factor that I've come to appreciate in great novels.  

While the background of the story was interesting enough, I guess I was expecting a lot more.  I didn't care enough about the characters and there seemed to be some inaccuracies with the research.  I understand that not a lot is known about Ancient times, but I felt that author could have done a better job of portraying that characters and the time period.



No comments:

Post a Comment