Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Shadows on the Nile by Kate Furnivall (audio)

★ 1/2

Eh, I was not a huge fan of this book.  I read Kate Furnivall's novel The Red Scarf and loved it!  Over five years later, it remains one of my favorite books.  I guess I was just expecting something similar.  Or maybe the book just wasn't for me.  I'm usually not into mysteries and adventure stories unless they have a lot substance to them.  I also noticed that lately I've listened to a few English mysteries, and just can't seem to get into them.  Maybe it's the narrators? 

Twenty years after, her younger brother, Georgie has been taken and replaced with an adopted brother, Timothy, Jessie sets out to find Timothy who has mysteriously disappeared.  She travels to Egypt with her new romantic interest to search for him.  Interwoven with Jessie's adventure, is the story of Timothy's visits to Georgie.

This audio book arrived at the library I work at and I was excited to see both that it was by Kate Furnivall and because I currently reading another historical fiction novel, Nefertiti by Michelle Moran (much better, thank goodness!).  After reading the summary, I was hoping there would be more historical information about Egypt - there was some, but not much.   Some parts were good, but there just wasn't enough there to keep me interested.  One of the major problems I had was with Jessie's character.  She just didn't fit a young women from the 1930s and I kept having to remind myself that the book was set in that time period instead of today.  I was also disturbed by Georgie's situation - even though it was explained, I felt that the characters didn't deal with what happened to the family when the children were young.  

I currently have another of Furnivall's novels, The White Pearl, sitting on my bookshelf at home.  We'll see if this one is any better!

No comments:

Post a Comment