Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (audio)

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.  A writer we use to like taught us that.  There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set.  I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got.  But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.  You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."

"Cancer is also a side effect of dying.  Almost everything is, really."

Goodreads Summary: "Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."

- - - - - - - - - - - - 

I am a big fan of John Green, and this one was absolutely amazing - as I knew that it would be.  This isn't just a cancer story.  It's a story about love and loss and adolescents.  Hazel and Gus are determined to live their lives to the fullest, even though everything is against them.  There love story is one of courage, strength, and inspiration.  And do top it all off, they are also incredibly funny and delightful characters to read about.  This story was beautifully written and gave a touching and realistic (at least I'm assuming) view of what experiences young adults go through when dealing with cancer.  I loved not only that the author did a wonderful job describing the emotions that Hazel and Gus went though, but also their reactions to how they were treated because of their disease.  A extremely heart-felt novel that puts young love and dying into perspective.  

I was thrilled to see that it had been chosen as the Time Magazine YA pick for 2012 and that the movie will be out this June - be prepared for a tear jerker!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment