Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Stella Bain by Anite Shreve (audio)

"He will be her one-room cottage, her oasis."

I didn't really like this book - at all.  The only other book I've read by Anita Shreve is Resistance - which I enjoyed, but this one was hard to get through.  Thank goodness it was short and an audio book, otherwise I don't know if I would have finished it.

 The story seemed interesting: American women suffers shell shock in World War I while volunteering as a nurse and end up in London.  Her memory gone, she struggles to find out who she really is.  After many months she realizes that she has two children in America and returns to fight for custody from her husband.  It seemed a little far-fetched and it drove me crazy that she ran off to the war without telling her children or even writing to them.  Eh. Plus she ends up "falling in love" with the man who takes care of her in London after his wife dies in child- birth. Eh again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment