Friday, January 30, 2015

Summer Island by Kristin Hannah

★★★
"As mothers and daughters, we are connected to one another.  My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true.  She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong.  She is the beating of my heart.  I cannot now imagine a life without her."

Goodreads Summary: Years ago, Nora Bridge walked out on her marriage and left her daughters behind. Now she is a famous talk show host. Her daughter Ruby is a struggling comedienne. The two haven’t spoken in more than a decade. Then a scandal from Nora’s past is exposed, and Ruby is offered a fortune to write a tell-all about her mother. Reluctantly, she returns to the family house on Summer Island, a home filled with frayed memories of joy and heartache. Confronting a past that includes a never-forgotten love, a sick best friend, and a mother who has harbored terrible family secrets, Ruby finally begins to understand the complex ties that bind a mother and daughter—and the healing that comes with forgiveness.

This book was ok.  I enjoyed the story, but felt like there was a lack of "substance."  I wanted to care more about the characters, but I didn't feel like I got to know them well enough to really establish an opinion.  I found lately that it's really interesting to read earlier books written by some of my favorite authors.  I love Kristen Hannah's recent books (Winter Garden and Night Road to name a few) and I felt there was a huge different in literary quality and character development between them.  Plus I couldn't help noticing some details from Fly Away in this one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment