Friday, November 20, 2015

House Rules by Jodi Picoult (audio)

★★★
"It's never the difference in people the surprise us.  It's the things that, against all odds, we have in common."

About every year or two I usually find myself going through a 'Jodi Picoult' phase - usually when I find myself in need of a audio book because the new ones that I want to listen to are still on hold at the library.  Including this one, I have read 11 out of her 21 novels (I think...), not including her two YA books or collections of short stories.  I generally enjoy them and they make great audio books for listening to in the car - engaging stories with relatively simple concepts and storylines even though they usually carry a lot of emotion, unthinkable choices, etc.  I like hearing the story from the view point of multiple characters and find it interesting to read about 'hot topics' that make readers think about things that aren't all that fun to think about.  

Her latest book, Leaving Time, was quite different than usual.  Very good, but very different.  That was what originally got me back to reading Picoult again in the first place.

Anyways...

This book focus on a young man named Jacob who has Asperger's syndrome and the effects that it has on him and his family - specifically his mother and younger brother, Theo.  Jacob is currently on a detective/crime fix and we soon find him caught up in his own crime scene where he is the suspect in the murder of his social skills tutor.  The middle of the novel gets into a lot of typical behaviors of Asperger's effects Jacob in court.  In usual Picoult fashion, reader's aren't sure if Jacob is actually guilty or not as the trial is takes place and there is the usual unsuspected twist at the end - even though I can't for the life of me remember exactly how the ending went.  I guess I need to stop reviewing books nearly a month after reading them!!

All in all, this was an enjoyable book - interesting storyline and premise - but nothing amazing.

I also have a problem with the cover.  Beautiful design, but is it just me, or does the kid in the photo look to be about 8 or 10 instead of 18??

No comments:

Post a Comment