Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult (audio)

★★★★
"I think grief is like a really ugly couch.  It never goes away.  You can decorate around it; you can slap a doily on top of it; you can push it to the corner of the room - but eventually, you learn to live with it."

I listed to this as an audio book and really enjoyed it.  I felt that it took a different path than Picoult's usual style, but still kept many of the same characteristics of her as an author.  The book focused a lot on mother/daughter relationships that was incorporated with elephant behavior.  I found the parts about elephants really interested and gained a new perspective of animal behavior in general.  

I also really liked how Picoult developed the characters throughout the book.  Without giving too much away, I wasn't too sure about the main character of Alice but I grew to really like her as the story progressed.  I love how the details of the story unraveled slowly enough for readers to process both the characters and events.  I was set to give the book 4 1/2 stars - or maybe even 5 at some points - but the ending took me by surprise.  I'm still not sure how I felt about the it.  I didn't see it coming at all and it was a little to unrealistic for me (at best), but I still loved the book.  It was beautifully written and I couldn't put it down!

This book was #9 on my top ten list of 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment